Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lincoln Center and Washington Square



Feeling so cheery after our day at the opera yesterday!





The dress rehearsal of Armida at the Metropolitan Opera in Lincoln Center was fabulous!
We were mesmerized by the production and very impressed with the enormous talent of the entire cast...
...with Renee Fleming, of course.... as the shining star...



As this was my first experience at the opera...
...I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!
Rob, of course, loved it and raved about it all evening...
I see more opera in my future! :)



Wanted to share these pics of the sweetest little girls ever...

...I found these darling pink and black outfits with a French flair for our favorite girls recently and tried to get them to model for us...
...not so easy!



...and when we returned from the city...this wonderful surprise was waiting for me...
Several weeks ago, I received an email from Jackie at Bliss Farm Antiques...
She asked for permission to use a photograph from my sidebar (me, as a 2 1/2 year old, with my rubber dolly and baggage...I still come with lots of baggage)....
Anyway, Jackie asked me if she could use the photo in some personal artwork of hers.
I thanked her for asking permission and told her that of course she was welcome to use it.

Then she asked me what my favorite book was as a child.
Hmm...unusual question...
I immediately thought of the first book of my very own.... that I received when I was 7 from my Aunt Alice at Christmas. The book was called, Flash of Washington Square. I remember reading it from cover to cover...over and over and looking at all the pictures....I really loved the story and still have the book today.

Anyway, you can imagine my surprise when I opened a box from Jackie yesterday with this wonderful box collage in it....
Here is what she wrote in the card that she enclosed,

Dear Laura,
I love to make collage boxes and when I saw your picture I was inspired. I had images in my mind of what the little girl in the photo would be dreaming about. I knew it would be something special as she fell asleep exhausted from her busy life and surrounded by toys and books. Thanks so much for letting me use it.
Enjoy, Jackie


Letting her use it? What a wonderful gift....how sweet is she?
Thank you Jackie for being inspired...for your wonderful, creative and generous spirit!
I love this little box collage and I love the fact that you thought enough of me to create this gift!

Aren't blogging friends the best?
Have a wonderful evening....

Tomorrow....Flea market!!!
:)

16 comments:

Rustique Gal said...

How sweet! First of all your trip and opera, then to find that adorable collage of YOU in the mail.
Happy Weekend!
Sherry

Lisa said...

Oh how cool! I love the sweet little girls in their outfits! Cute models!!
Have a super great extra special wonderful weekend!

Hugs, Lisa

It's me said...

What a wonderful gift !! and yes blogging friends are the best !!

And ho sweet that little girls ....and i am glad you like the opera....have a nice flea market sunday my dear !!

Hugs from me......

my Grama's Soul said...

What a lovely gift, your friend gave you.

I, too, am new to opera. My first was "La Boheme", at the Sidney Opera House in Sidney Australia two years ago. I was overwhelmed and over-joyed at the same time. I loved all of it.

Blessings,

Jo

my Grama's Soul said...

I, too, love opera. The first time I went; it was to see "La Boheme".
It was playing at the Sidney Opera House in Sidney, Australia.

I was both overwhelmed and overjoyed.

Blessings,

Jo

jacklynn4 said...

L,
Thanks for the pics, I forgot to take pics before I sent the box off. The little girls are adorable...Happy flea-ing!
Jackie
Bliss Farm Antiques

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. What a sweet gift you received.
Enjoy your weekend.

Dar said...

How precious, you sweet little girls are so adorable...love the crossed ankles. And your gift-so special indeed. Thanks for taking me to the opera through your eyes, my first time too.
Blessings

Sarah said...

It is a precious photo! And how very thoughtful for Jackie to do this just for you! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Gracefully Vintage said...

Looking for some inspiration for decorating a shop im opening- and found your blog-love it -the girls are dolls.
Love your pics-and amazing blog
karryann

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Laura,
What a great post. First the opera, how exciting to see Renee Fleming in action. And of course the adorable girls are my favorite, the outfits are so sweet. And yes bloggers are the best, what a special gift. The collage box is so creative and unique.
Enjoy the flea tomorrow,
Mimi

Theresa said...

Precious! I love that picture and the collage box is gorgeous! What a sweet and thoughtful gift! Sounds like you all enjoyed the opera. Enjoy your Sunday my friend!

maryann said...

Lovely post! The girls look adorable in their outfits, the box collage is fantastic, and I am so glad that you enjoyed the opera so much! Can't wait to hear about your adventures at the flea market!!

cheryl kuhn said...

What a lucky gal to have gone to the opera and then come home to that amazing assemblage piece!! I don't think you could have had a better day..unless you made a pit-stop at a flea market on the way...lol....

Eva Agnes said...

The opera visit to the met sounds marvelous. I love opera!
We have the possibility her, in my little west coast town in Sweden, to go to the met too. That means we are lokking and listening at the movies which send directly from the Met. Great, isn't it??!!
Love your little girls. Soooo sweet all of them.
Love Eva Agnes

Les Cotrions said...

Hello Laura! Happy you have a so wonderful time at the opera!!!It seems to have been a wonderful evening!!! Beautiful little models...I love them! And what a nice surprise from your friend!!!
I've an invitation for you on my blog...take a look and you can play if you feel like...but absolutely feel free about your decision!!!
Happy new week and a special "ciao" to Rob!
Vale