Friday, April 17, 2009

Cheryl Kuhn, Artist Extraodinaire



One of my favorite artists is Cheryl Kuhn of small-stories-studio......She makes the most amazing collages and mixed media pieces.....incorporating found objects and old photographs with bits and pieces of poetry and literature.
.....This piece is one of my favorites....a sweet angel of a baby.....Faith, Hope and Love. Cheryl repurposes an old faucet, door knob and nuts and bolts to create this whimsical corner shelf piece.



There is a rusty bell that swings from a little chain on the bottom.....it reminds me of "It's a Wonderful Life"....."every time a bell rings an angel gets her wings"......



She wears a fabulous crown and silver wings....



Cheryl loves the creamy whites and uses vintage sheet music and text as backgrounds...



This one speaks to my love of birds, eggs and nests.....



How does she think of these things? I think it is the poem that inspires her and then her imagination takes off.....



A "nest" made out of an old metal stand and decorated with feathers.....this little "bird" has wings made from old keys.....a vintage postcard is part of the backdrop...



Two more of Cheryl's pieces are at the lake house and a Halloween themed one comes out each autumn......Two years ago, for Paula's birthday...I gave her one of Cheryl's creations.....a dear little cream colored box trimmed with a little bit of red, found objects and another sweet vintage photo.....I get to visit that piece when I stay in Paula's guest room!

I met Cheryl in person in Warwick at the Earth Angels Event last May and she is sweet and friendly and warm .....her personality is reflected in the charm of her most unique art work....

You can see more of Cheryl's work at the Earth Angels website......Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Carole said...

It's a true artist who can take found object and make something so beautiful. Love her color palette. I think she has the best work in Earth Angels hands down. Though I like Jill Schwarts jewelry too.

Les Cotrions said...

Hello Laura! Your friend is very clever! I like her art works so much! Very creative!!! Great idea has your sister!!! I think you'll enjoy my village!
Have a nice week end!
Warm greetings
Vale

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi sweetie!

Beautiful artist..thanks for sharing! I will have to go and check out her site. Hope you are doing well! Have a beautiful rest of the weekend!

xo...deb

Unknown said...

I love mixed media stuff, being a collaging girl myself...really lovely to see these pictures.
Thankyou
x 5ft inf

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

What a great post!! Love all those things, so unique..thanks for the inspiration!!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Such lovely artwork! Thanks for sharing this. I just don't know how these women come up with these wonderfully inspiring ideas!
Brenda