Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tough Times....I'll gladly "Make Do"!

"Make-Do" pincushions are created using old candlesticks or spools or other found items for a base. Besides her dolls Evi has been creating the most exquisite Make-Do's. I am lucky enough to own three of them! This beautiful blue one is the first that she gave me and I just love it. The photograph on top is of her as a child. You can see the detail and the fine stitching in her work.








The second one in browns and reds I bought from her......just look at the details....the sweet little face in the photograph, the tiny key and the exquisitely sewn strawberries!
The third one was a gift from her one Valentine's day and has charming little hearts hanging all around with three larger hearts at the top sewn together to create a place for a thimble . The base which is made out of an old lamp wick tin unscrews to reveal itsy bitsy treasures she stashed there......a tiny spool of red thread, a penny, a little needle folder and a wooden pin in the shape of a heart. I can't fathom the number of hours it took her to create these special one of a kind gifts! She is such an imaginative and talented designer who executes all that she creates with unparalleled skill and artistry. Not only that.....she has a heart of gold and calls me her friend!

2 comments:

Debbie McIntyre said...

Laura,
What a wonderful way to spend my Sunday evening pawing through your blog. I enjoyed every word and each beautiful photograph. Look forward to reading your next post. (Thanks to Carole for the link)

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Thank you Debbie! I'm flattered and happy that you liked it!