Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gather



Gather is a wonderful shop located at 104 Main Street in the charming village of Ivoryton, Ct.. Our friend Deanna had a vision...she wanted to create a place where the people in her community could come together... where they could meet, sit and chat over coffee and pastries, hold meetings, work on crafts together and shop for antiques, a card or gifts.



The space is wide open, painted a cheery and welcoming yellow with high ceilings and wonderful architectural elements. The building was originally built by the Comstock and Cheney company and was their factory store and then later on a grocery store. It is filled with antiques, consignment items and handmade gifts of all kinds. In the rear of the store, behind the antique brass cash register, there is a huge table surrounded by chairs. There are comfortable sofas with newspapers for reading and a bowl of old buttons set out on the coffee table to sort through...The library is near by and children stop in daily to buy candy and sometimes just to say hi.



Here is a counter of seasonal items, ribbons, handmade cards and tags ... check out the Cathy Pendleton snowmen...
Do you see that wonderful picture on the left? Paula fell in love with it ....it has all the creams and browns and greens that go so well with her palette...
We took it home with us and it now resides comfortably in her farmhouse as if it always belonged there....perfect!



There are antique linens galore displayed in this lovely cupboard...



This little village is steeped in history...
It was known for its production of pianos in the early 20th century and the village name, Ivoryton comes from that industry and the importation of the ivory tusks used to cover the piano and organ keys produced here.



Locally handmade items and wonderful antiques and treasures are brought in to sell on consignment. You never know what you will find at Gather...









You really need to click on the pictures to see the details!









These Mason "Vista" transfer-ware dishes match the set that I inherited from my great aunts, Nani, Fifi and Mimi (Anna, Freida and Wilhelmina).



















Everyone is welcome here...it is a gathering place for all ages....
...of course there is a "kid's corner"!
...and a pet's corner too!









Delicious chocolates...



Beautiful tags...









Deanna makes everything look wonderful....her attention to detail, her flair for decorating and her beautiful and welcoming smile for each and every person that walks in the door makes Gather truly a destination not to be missed!



These are a few of the treasures I "gathered" and took home with me!



Deanna, her husband, their family members and friends have created something special here at Gather. They advertise it as a store for making friends, memories, laughs and traditions....
I love their concept and it all works perfectly in this charming New England village.
For directions you may call them at the shop...(860) 767-7816.
...Pictures of Essex and the holiday tour tomorrow!
:) Good night!

26 comments:

icandy... said...

Hi Laura!
The shop looks simply beautiful! I wish that I lived nearby... I could stay and browse for hours and hours... *sigh*....
I'd leave with a car full too, I'm sure! :)
Hugs and Happy Holidays!
Christina

Lori said...

What a beautiful spot ~ I can see myself spending lots of time in here!

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi sweetie!

Sounds like the "perfect" stop during not only the holidays...but, anytime ya just need an old fashion 'gathering' (especially in this day and age)!

Have a beautiful week...xo...deb

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

Wow! What a wonderful place... I would love to have a place to 'gather' in my little town!
Thanks for sharing.
~Amy

Carole said...

Just like you said you never know what you'll find at Gather. The town is better for her being there.
Gather is beautiful but it's Deanna's warm and fun loving personality that makes it exceptional.
Wonderful post Laura!
xo
Carole

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a wonderful concept, the store is full of amazing things. How fun to come there and just have a delicious treat and shop. I love those sunny yellow walls!
Debra

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Laura!
What a beautiful shop, and the name says it all. How fabulous - food, friends, antiques...
Have a fabulous week!

FILIGREE MOON said...

What a lovely place! Such a novel idea for a shop ~ Angela

mary pernula said...

I enjoyed your post tonight, I can see myself visiting this little store. I have set up a small shop on my property this year and if I can have the same spirit as the shop you are introducing us to I can see good things for our neighborhood. Have a good evening.Lots of hugs. Mary (JMPPASTIMES)

jules said...

everything is so beautiful. thanks for sharing. jules

Florence said...

I wish I could come to Gather, but it is too far away, so I guess I will just have to go and gather some where close by, perhaps Monticello Antique mall. Florence

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

When I saw the picture on my sidebar, I thought that it was a shop in England. You can see why the area is called New England.....and what a wonderful shop 'Gather' is. A beautiful concept too. It's chocablock full of gorgeous things. I so wish that it was just a short drive to all of the fantastic places that you take us to, Laura.Just a tad too far from the U.K. !! Oh, and I love the name of the shop, too. XXXX

Theresa said...

Hi Laura, I wanna go and sit in that sweet gathering spot. Too bad I live in Georgia:( It sure looks like a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for sharing it with us and have a blessed day!

La Petite Gallery said...

I wish we had a shop like that in Rockland Maine. Very clever, that should do very well. Maybe franchise it???
yvonne

Lululiz said...

I just love the idea of such a wonderful place for shopping, chatting, crafting, meeting. The danger of course is that I would practically live in it!

Cassie Shella said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog and I just LOVE it! I will definately be back. Thanks for the lovely trip to that wonderful gathering spot. What a wonderful, creative, community asset...

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea for a shop. Thanks for sharing.
Michele

chiara said...

A wonderful place to live in..if I was there (too far) I would stay in that amazing shop-house for hours..thank you for sharing with us such awesome spots..
hugs from Italy
Chiara

manon 21 said...

Encore pour me faire Rêver!!!!

amitiés

manon

Les Cotrions said...

Waw Laura! That's an enchanting place where spending time hunting!!! It's so beautifully set! I like the treasures you bought! I'm a bit gelous of your week end!!!!
Thanks for this lovely trip!!!
Big hugs
Vale & Paola

BELLE BLANC said...

Oh Laura, how I would love to spend some beautiful precious hours there, so many things to see, so many wonderful things to buy... a little paradise!
Hugs, Mira

Fete et Fleur said...

What a wonderful place. I'm so glad you had such a sweet time with your friend. Her home is GORGEOUS!!

Nancy

Jane said...

Looks like a fabulous place. I really like her idea of making it welcoming for everyone to stop by and stay for awhile. I could spend a lot of time (and money) there!
Jane

Janean said...

thank you for taking us shopping with you!!!!

Cathy said...

A little slice of heaven on earth! Thank you for sharing such a special place with us :)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

The shop reminds me of the downtown main street stores that used to carry a little of this and that! I would love to be able to go there to look around and of course to buy.
Thanks for giving us such a wonderful tour!