Saturday, July 31, 2010

Beautiful State, Beautiful Country



Driving west through New York on my way out to Buffalo...
...the wildflowers on the side of the road took my breath away....
...just like the wildflowers do when I am in the Hudson River Valley or when we are at the lake house in the northern part of the state.



I remember years ago on our trip out west...
...the wildflowers painting the Rockies were so exciting...
...the colors were a bit different and ever so beautiful...



Chicory and Queen Anne's Lace are my favorites...
...most prevalent on New York's roadways...
...so most familiar to me...
...and, of course...blue and white...



Anyway, I am still in Buffalo and we're still working on the moving process...



I have enjoyed visiting with Dan's friends as they stopped by to return movies and games, pick up sweatshirts and cufflinks, drop off graduation presents and share photos and exchange plates that once were home to chocolate chip cookies...
...lucky Dan had several sweet girls that saw to it that he never went hungry.



Tonight he took me out to dine at a cozy comfortable family restaurant where one of his good friends waitresses on weekends. It was the place that Dan and his friends would meet for dinner on Saturdays over the last few years. We received extra special treatment!



Change is good.
Change shakes things up...
but it is also sometimes very hard...



Tomorrow we finish loading the vehicles and give this place a final cleaning...

Sunday we will travel east and go to the lake house where my parents are now.
Dan wants to spend some quiet time at the lake and visit with his grandparents before he begins his new job.

I'm hoping to get off the highway at some point so as to be able to stop along the way and pick a few wildflowers to bring to my Mom.

Who knows, there might even be a yard sale to stop at! :)

Have a great weekend!

Last day to enter the 500th Post Give Back!
...the winner will be randomly selected on August 1st!

P.S. Thank you for all your comments and don't worry...
....I will NOT throw out the postage stamps I found!!

24 comments:

Jill said...

Hi
What beautiful photos, there is nothing better than a bunch of wild flowers to cheer everyone up! Enjoy the Lake House with your parents. Can you send me some sunshine to north devon UK please!!!
have a lovely weekend
Jill

Unknown said...

Hi Laura, I'm so glad you love this state. I am 20min. from Buffalo, Hamburg, and yes, the flowers are just amazing. I love the Queen Anns Lace, too.
Wish you well in your new life.

Anonymous said...

Oh, mallows and chicory! Two of my roadside favorites too! And the purple loosetrife is blooming and is so beautiful. Although they say it is taking over in a not-so-good way.
Such a beautiful time of year, isn't it!
Blessings,
Diane

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Laura, I think a bunch of wildflowers picked on your way home with Dan, will be the perfect little gift for your Mom when you get back to the Lake House. Hope you get some rest when you're back - you deserve it! Oh, a maybe a garage sale or two on the way back :)

Janet - Birdland Treasures said...

Chicory is my favorite roadside wildflower as well - of course it looks beautiful if QAL is nearby... it IS the blue-and-white, isn't it? Both are plentiful here in Iowa. Wishing you safe travels and a fresh new beginning!

Lynn said...

So pretty, I was with Ma this morning and we were just talking about the flowers on the side of the road too!

MamaMonki said...

I love those blue and white flowers. We have them all over the roadways here in Indiana too. When I was little and planning my dream wedding - I thought I would have those in my bouquet. Then I ended up getting married in December.

Hope you find a garage sale or two while you're on the road.

trash talk said...

I love Queen Anne's Lace. I even taught my first g'daughter to say it when she was tiny.
Thank goodness it grows here in Texas when it's hot.
Reading this post was like watching a lovely old movie. Enjoy the lake house and your family....garage sales can wait.
Debbie

No name said...

I like those little lavender colored flowers quite a bit. I've never seen those, do you know the name? We have something similar to Queen Annes Lace in AK or at least that's what I've been told. I don't think it is the same as yours though. I may just have to take a photo of it and put it in a blog. Yours looks dainty and pretty and ours looks like big cauliflowers...sort of. lol

Have safe travels and enjoy your quiet time at the lake. My mother is in upstate NY right now, Albany and Lake George is where she goes.

Blessings,
Shanna

Gert said...

Oh I too love those wildflowers and wish my Mr Tom would stop sometimes so I could pick a few..aren't they just amazing?

Have a safe trip and enjoy your weekend.

Blessings.....
xoxo Gert

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Happy Trails to you.... lovely wild flowers all the way home. :0)

Olive said...

Such pretty flowers. Enjoy your family time.
hugs ♥ olive

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Laura,
Lovely wildflowers. Safe travels and enjoy every moment with your family!
Bon week-end,
Mimi

Carole said...

Some of my favorites. I love seeing the wild flowers from other parts of the country too
xxx
Carole

Kateyed said...

Laura,
The flowers are beautiful and your words about your son are loving and honest. I think mothers and sons are so special. I wish I had been given that chance.
I think your mother will love the wildflowers!
Hugs,
Suz

Brooke ~ The Eclectic Cottage said...

The wildflowers are just beautiful, my favorite is also Queen Anne's Lace. Do you know what the gorgeous pink flower is in your first picture?
Enjoy the rest of the drive! ~Brooke

Sarah said...

What beautiful images! Glad you are on your wat to the lake house. Enjoy! ~ Sarah

DustyLu said...

Wonderful photos! Enjoy your trip! ~Lulu

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Laura,
gorgeous wildflowers indeed love the blue one! Well seeing that my daughter moves to Buffalo for her semester abroad in just 11 days from today I was very interested in this post and I read it thoroughly and if I understood it right, your son lived in Buffalo and just moved away? Thing is that we are still looking for an appartement for my daughter and a fellow german student in Buffalo somewhere not to0 far from the University and we would be very grateful for any tips and hints you could possibly give.
I'd love to hear back from you!
Warmest wishes from Germany sends you
Carola

The French Bear said...

Laura, have a nice drive home, pick some flowers, maybe some berries.....and hit a few yard sales, life is good!!!
Have a happy and safe trip home!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hey girlfriend!

LOVE the pics...and yeppers things do change. And I am sure that in your case they will be for the best! Y'all have a safe trip to the lake and get lots of family time in and many hugs before the young man heads off on his new path! Love ya...xo..deb

jacklynn4 said...

They are all so lovely Laura...great photos.
jackie
bliss farm antiques

Mélanie A. said...

WOnderful photos of Mother Nature . New York state is so wonderful .

A rootdigger said...

Love chicory, I am trying to get them established. I already have plenty of queen anns. It does help to remove the Queen ann seed head in the fall. to keep it miminal. So in some places it can go to town to.