Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fun With Zita in Montreal



We met the lovely Zita of Mlle Magpie on Friday morning...

I knew that I would get along well with Zita as we have been commenting on each others posts for the last year...what I didn't realize is that we would immediately click....that our passion for vintage collecting, creating and decorating would provide a bond that would make us feel as if we had always known each other...we speak the same language...we understand each other...

Zita came to get us at our hotel and first took us to a French cafe for hot chocolate and cappuccino....then it was on to Rue Notre-Dame to her favorite thrift store....The French Canadian Salvation Army...
... Zita gets me!

If you look close in the picture above you will see my sister Mary Beth peeking out from piles of dishware....I don't think she and my nephew Joe ever expected to be thrifting in Montreal!



We walked along Rue Notre-Dame peering in the windows of the beautiful antique stores...
...please excuse the reflections of the road construction, buildings and cars in the storefront windows...



Wonderful giant urns...





A carved marble mantle...



Chandeliers...



Fabulous French antiques...



Chairs...



more chairs...





I loved these old metal window frames...







Isn't this a fantastic bird cage?





Zita took us to this wonderful shop where the owner had lots of antique French linens and antiques....She used to own a shop in France but now was living here in Montreal...





Her shop in France...



The name of the shop on an antique sheet hanging on the wall...



Just look at these beautiful sacs that she has fashioned using antique, vintage and new fabrics...









Her wares included antiques and new gift items as well...







Antique cafe au lait bowls...

I just loved everything about this shop....it was full of treasure and all charmingly displayed.
Tomorrow I will show you what I bought and the sweet gifts that Zita gave me.
The best gift of all though, is that I have a new friend.
Zita is a beautiful girl inside and out and all three of us are so glad to have met her and been able to spend some time with her. She provided us with a lot of information and tips regarding the city and university and was so very kind to us and generous with her time.

I am sure Zita and I will arrange to meet again!



The rest of the day we spent at McGill University where we took a walking tour of campus and the residences in the surrounding area of Montreal...



A statue of Queen Victoria in front of the Music Building....
Montreal is a very beautiful and diverse city with the old and new blending together....







Joe and Mary Beth on campus. We were impressed with McGill University and they seem to really like our Joe....but we don't know at this point where Joe will choose to go to college. He has had many letters of acceptance and some scholarship awards...we are so proud of him!
Joe will have all his offers by the end of the week and then will make his decision.
If he chooses McGill, I told him Aunt Laura will be visiting often! :)



It has been a wonderful trip....this is a fabulous historic city with so much to offer!
Tomorrow I will share some of our photos of our time at Mount Royal and Old Montreal!
Good night! :)

28 comments:

Annesphamily said...

Fascinating pictures! Congrats to Joe! I worked with a doctor who attended McGill! What a great school! I am glad I stopped by.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Laura
Well firstly congratulations to Joe.. It's great that he has choices and McGill does have the extra advantage of auntie Laura visiting. hehehe
So... wow.. this place looks great.. so many wonderful things to grab your attention... I love all the antiquing and also the fabulous terraces [with balconies] how wonderful. .so much charm.

Sounds like you had a great time.. and that last shop... exquisite .. have fun Laura xxx Julie

gretchen said...

What great photos, thanks for taking us along if only to window shop!

Beach House Living said...

Great urns and those pink chairs are quite fun looking. Thanks for the shopping trip

It's me said...

Beautiful pictures..........and what a beautiful shop.............i like it very much......just what i need after such sad news............


Enjoy have a great time...........hugs from Ria

Lululiz said...

What a fabulous trip! Doesn't it just make me you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you meet such a lovely new friend? Can't wait to see what you have bought. I loved that French shop, it had so many of my favourite things.

Theresa said...

Oh goodness what a wonderful time! Sounds like a great day in a beautiful city:) Don't 'cha just love meeting friends face to face that you feel like you have known forever? All of the shops look just wonderful but I love those gorgeous bags. Oooolahlah! That University is so beautiful! Have a blessed day dear Laura!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Congrats Joe! What a fun trip! Thank you so much for sharing all your lovely photos!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Such a wonderful trip! I am enjoying your posts tremendously! Can't wait to hear all about Old Montreal!

Michelle Palmer said...

Such treasures and WONDERFUL photographs~ always!

Jane said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip and I'm glad your nephew got such a warm reception.
This is what I love about blogging....being able to meet someone you met from your blog and getting a personal tour of a city that you knew nothing about. How cool is that!!
Look forward to seeing more.
Jane

Diva Kreszl said...

so many wonderful treasures in one place...looks like you had an amazing time!

Carole said...

Total eye candy Laura...looks like Paris!
I knew you and Zita would hit it off!

xxx

1 Funky Woman said...

Gorgeous! If I could jump into the computer right now I would! I love all the the pictures! What an amazing time it looks like! Thanks for sharing!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks like you are having an amazing time! I'm looking forward to seeing your goodies!

All Seasons said...

What a beautiful shop and all the things what I see there, ohh I like, I like it....

Thanks for the beautiful photo's, Laura

Have a nice evening
Hugs
Patricia

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Congrats. to your Son - it is wonderful that he has a choice of where to go. Great photos and thanks for the tour - lots of eye candy.

Kim said...

Your blog is always wonderful to stop by. Loved the tour!

cheryl kuhn said...

What a beautiful place to be able to go to school! I am anxiously awaiting to see what you purchased on your journey!!

Dar said...

Such a wonderful adventure. The university looks like a great place to expand an education. Good luck to Joe as he decides where to do that expanding. He is so fortunate to have the opportunity.
The antique shops were a dream to visit with you. Thanks for sharing...I loved the glass cabinet that all the dishware was displayed in. Grand indeed.
Blessings

Trouvais said...

Hi Laura...thanks for taking us along...great photo. My eyes would catch the same things! I've got to find some Lillies of the Valley. Can't grow them, but just love them! XO Trish

FILIGREE MOON said...

A dreamy wonderland! I enjoyed visiting via your wonderful photographic tour! Thank you. ~ Angela

Zita said...

It was SO wonderful meeting you, sweet kindred spirit, Laura! And your lovely sister and nephew Joe. How fun is it to get to know someone through their blog and then be lucky enough to meet them?!! I loved our couple of hours together and certainly look forward to more in the future!!! p.s. your photos turned out fabulous.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I said Son, but meant Nephew. Geeesh! Realized my mistake when I came by to look at your photos more.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Dear Laura,
Well, your nephew, Joe must have worked very hard to be getting such wonderful offers. Your sister must be very proud of him and, I'm sure that you are too.
.... and, how exciting to meet a fellow blogger. Zita really did you proud and obviously knows you so well as, I can see that the places she took you were so YOU.
Montreal looks so beautiful, my favourite in your photographs are the buildings with the balconies. I am so looking forward to your next post. XXXX

Caro said...

Glad you enjoyed Montreal!!! It's such a beautiful city, where I was born and raised (now in the suburbs though).

Jill said...

Thank you for "taking me along" on this lovely trip. Now, I have to turn back away from the computer to my LARGE pile of laundry and Nebraska vintage instead of French but I so enjoyed the respite!

Mélanie A. said...

The antiques shops in Montreal look fantastic ... They are full of treasures