Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lunch with the Girls at Evi's Beautiful Home



Evi's annual Valentine Luncheon was postponed this year due to the terrible weather we have been having this winter in New York.
 But, finally last Thursday we managed to come together
 and enjoy a fabulous afternoon at Evi's welcoming home.



Her unique and beautiful home appeared 
as fresh, light and inviting as ever.


Evi's European origins and her design background work together
 to highlight her many vintage collections and interests.
 Never cluttered, always perfectly edited, each item on display
 is placed just so making her rooms both beautiful and interesting.



Once again, Evi spoiled us with a delicious lunch.
 She served mushroom, asparagus soup; corn, tomato and avocado salad;
 baked salmon and creme fraiche potatoes.
 For dessert, we had strawberries, apple tart
 and a delicious cake with chocolate and a Dutch liquor center.



The table was set with Valentine's Day still in mind...
red and white linen napkins, lace tablecloth and charming paper
 birds created by the talented Evi to stand in as place cards.

 And, of course, she baked and packaged her special cookies
 for us to bring home. (Mr. Flea was waiting for those! :))


 Touches of red, Evi's favorite color and bits of whimsy
 repeat throughout this distinctive and lovely home.


 Sigh...everything is so clean and uncluttered in Evi's world.

...just like my home...

NOT! 


Can you just imagine the 6 of us gathered around this table?
Giddy with the rare opportunity to all spend time together...
...we chattered and ate the afternoon away.


This year, Tovah Martin came to join us at the luncheon.
It was lovely to meet this charming girl.
I was just a little starstruck, but the famous horticulturalist, master gardener, author, lecturer and producer of a PBS series
 fit right in with the rest of us...kindred spirits.

Since Evi and Paula are gardeners and Carole owns and operates a nursery there was much they had in common.

And since everyone loves antiques and treasure hunting
 at flea markets...I fit right in too!




Small touches, tiny delightful bits and interesting collections
 are tucked away in a cabinet in the dining room. 


The charming country kitchen, which produces amazing delectable culinary creations a la Evi's expertise,
 is just as lovely and inviting as the rest of the house.


Collections of sheep and tiny doll dishes fill one shelf ...


Crows and baskets gather on top of another shelf over the stove.

I am sure Evi would not approve of the above photo.
 She was in the the midst of preparing our lunch...
 that's her delicious mushroom, asparagus soup
 simmering on the stove!

but, hey...
 ...this is how the magic happens!


Moving on to Evi and her sweet hubby Eb's bedroom. 
Relaxing and romantic. 
should I say red hot? :)


Three small shelves next to the window
 hold miniature cupboards and other tiny treasures.






I love how she re-furbished the small master bath...
making use of every inch of space while designing it
 to fit in with her aesthetic. 
Don't you love those botanicals?


Yes, Evi did that beautiful stenciling...




Across the hall is another light filled bedroom...


 ...which now is home to Evi's books and vintage toy collections.










One of Evi's beautiful snow girls
 stands on a scrubbed pine dresser in the living room.




And because it had been so long since we had seen each other,
 Evi, Paula and I exchanged birthday and Christmas gifts.
 These beautiful packages were for me!
  
Paula made the angel wings for me which now are perched
 on the back of one of my vintage dress forms.
I am so lucky to have such creative and talented friends!


And last, but certainly not least, is Carole's gift to Evi...
...a beautiful folded paper basket.
Isn't it amazing?
 I can't even imagine being that creative...
...or patient! 

Thank you Evi for hosting us once again....
...we so appreciate all your efforts and will remember
 with love all your pampering and our wonderful day together !

I want to thank everyone who has written to me, sent up a few prayers or otherwise reached out to me. My father in law passed away a few weeks ago and we held a beautiful memorial service to celebrate his 94 years of life and loving.

 I am now in Florida with Dad and the southern part of the family and don't intend to return to New York until spring!
With flea markets and antique jaunts on the horizon...
...stay tuned for a few more posts! 
:)

32 comments:

ThiftedBliss said...

Laura, so sorry to hear of your family's loss. I was hoping you would be posting soon, have missed all your great pictures of this and that. Thanks for sharing Evi's spectacular home, I know I will be coming back again and again to see all the goodness. Carol's basket and Paula's wings are SO BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thanks again and welcome back

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Laura,
Sorry for your loss. Love the pictures of Evi's home how beautiful. I bet it was a really nice girls get together.
Kris

iloiza said...

piękne wnętrze, piękne przedmioty
Pozdrawiam

Cecilia said...

Hm, does Evi give lessons on decorating? Love her beautiful home! I know you are blessed by your friendships.
So sorry for your loss. Hope you find peace in the love of your family and friends.

Botanic Bleu said...

What a wonderful tradition to meet for lunch to celebrate Valentine's Day at Evi's. Her house is beautifully decorated as usual. I love her table setting for the lunch.

But, I gasped with awe when you said Tovah Martin was one of the guests. Her work in the original Victoria magazine was one of the reasons I loved the magazine. I looked forward to her contributions, and today, re-read old issues especially looking for her work.

May you find comfort and ease with your family in the south during this time of loss.

Judith

Evi said...

My goodness Laura,
I am blown away. You have a way with your camera to capture our home. Seeing it through your eyes is a lovely experience. Living here, I take it for granted.
I was walking on air after our fun day together. It was a wonderful, wonderful special occasion being together with old and new friends.
Heck, I did not even mind the pots on the stove, ha ha. At least a good meal resulted from the mess.
Thank you for everything you do with so much love.
Can't wait for your return, but while you are with your family, have the best time ever, spending time together, antiquing and relaxing.
Talk to you soon, and sending you tons of hugs and love,
Evi

Carol said...

I so look forward to the notes you ladies share about your gatherings. Thank you so for sharing them
Smiles,
Carol

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss Laura......now, you and your friends have to be one of the talented bunch!!!! WOW !!!!! Love Evi's decorating, every thing is just right....your photography is awesome....each of you have their own special talent, awesome!!!

Nella Miller said...

Laura, you have no idea how much I look forward to seeing this post of your visit to Evi with your girl friends every time....you have captured Evi's home beautifully!
She is an inspiration! I am sorry to hear of your loss, enjoy your time with your Dad in Florida...I am leaving for Sarasota next week for a bit...I miss Carol's posts, she is dear...N.xo

Libby said...

Hi Laura: What a very nice surprise to see a post from you.. I was wondering how you were and what was happening. I am so sorry for your loss, even if 94 years is a wonderfully long life to live. It is always very difficult at the end,no matter when or what.
And I'm glad you're in Florida for a while: away from the cold and snow! Enjoy and we all look forward to your great images and finds!

Ariadne said...

Hi Laura, again a gorgeous post about Evi's house which is much better than magazine posts! You really should make this into a magazine article! I loved Evi's house once again!In my amazement I wonder how many hours a day she cleans to keep this place so clean and how she manages to show off her beautiful vintage and handmade things without them being cluttered!Is big wardrobes her secret? And I was in awe to see that she cooks without a ventilation over the stove!Don't all those lovely things on top get dirty?
Anyway once again thanks for sharing this and my condolences for the passing of your father-in-law!AriadnefromGreece!

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a beautiful post. Your photographs are stunning as is Evi's home. So glad you all had a great time together just what you needed after your sad loss. My thoughts are with you. Enjoy Florida and I will look forward to reading your posts again soon.

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

You've been in my thoughts and prayers, Laura. So sorry for your loss.

I read Evi's post, and had my fingers crossed that you would write something about the gathering as well. Her home is so very beautiful... with many lovely details. I'm glad you were all able to get together again!

Enjoy your visit with family Florida!
Hugs,
Lin

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

A beautiful hostess and such a gorgeous home...
My sincerest condolences for your family's loss Laura.We have reached a time in our lives where those we have cherished so much and for so long begin to leave this earth... surrounding us with memories and the gift of them having shared their love.
Welcome back from your Winter hibernation. Spring is only a daydream away.
Susan x

Evi said...

Ariadne, no worries about the stove, it is a downdraft model.

It's me said...

Love this post what a beautiful home...love from me....x !!

Egretta Wells blog said...

Laura, am so sorry for your loss and hope you and your husband find comfort and peace. The post was beautiful...I adore Evi's home...I just want to live there! Everything is so calming and gorgeous and it feels like a place to relax and enjoy!Carole's basket is really something! What a fun day you all must have had. Thanks for sharing. Egretta

Annette said...

Laura, I am sorry to hear of your father in laws death. 94 years is a long life to be celebrated.
Your pictures of Evis' home look like a magazine spread. Between her beautiful home with all the great windows and your photography it could easily be professional!!! What a fun lunch you all must have had. Enjoy your time in FL. Great place to be until spring!!

Iris said...

I thought that I was doing pretty well decorating our home until I saw these pictures. Now I have pillow envy and tiny-dollhouse-dishes-envy. I don't think that it's curable, either. Dang!

MANUELA ALBANESE said...

Very BIG compliments to your blog ! is really lovely! Thank you for the SUPER photos !
Manuela

ByLightOfMoon said...

What a Beautiful Home, Thanks for sharing your fabulous photos, I am going back to look again!
Smiles, Cyndi

Pura Vida said...

I could look at this all day!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

How wonderful to have a friend with such flair! Or I should say "friends." It's always a treat to see Evi's home with her delightful collections. Such nice photos. Enjoy your time down south!

Lee said...

What a truly lovely home. It is a peaceful and beautiful place.
Loved your photos.
Lisa
Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

Burlap Luxe said...

À home to lové ... Friend ships are so spécial.
You captured the grace and beauty of Evi's home, it's so inviting.

Thank you for all the inspiration you captured.

Xox
Dore

Julie said...

Thank you Laura for sharing your gorgeous photos of Evis beautiful home - I really truely enjoy these posts so much & spend lots of time going back over all the pictures.
My deepest heartfelt condolences to you & your family on your loss ... I must confess I missed your posts & was a bit worried things may not be so good with families health etc ... Its lovely to have you back. Thanks for this inspiring post ... hugs, Julie x0x

Stacey said...

Evi's home is so beautiful! I'm glad you all had such a wonderful time of friendship.

Thinking of you and your family.

June said...

Oh Laura I am sorry to hear of the loss you and your husband have had. Even when they live full lives it is always hard to not have them with us any longer.
Evi's house is truly a beautiful home and the way you have photographed it is pure art. I felt like I was leafing through a beautiful magazine.
What a delight to get together with 'the girls' and enjoy each other's company. I have always love Tovah Martin so that must have been such a treat to have her there.
Thank you so much Laura for your sweet comment about being in WWC.
Take care dear friend. sending hugs....

Musings From A French Cottage said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It is a hard thing to lose a loved one.

Thank you for sharing Evi's beautiful home! It looks like a great time was had by all!!

Kathleen

cippy said...

Laura, I am new to your blog and enjoyed it so much I decided to have a marathon and read all of your archives. I have enjoyed spending time with you and all your gal pals fleaing and antiquing over the years. Thanks for a wonderful time and I look forward to many more.

WolvesAtTheDoor said...

So nice to have a sticky beak in other peoples homes, especially when they are as interesting and as beautiful as this one, thanks! Love the crows in the kitchen and actually really love how full of light very room is:)

A Primitive Homestead said...

Oh my you have a lovely home. So many ideas. My daughter would just fall in love. We're doing an end of our home over as an apartment.